Plumbers in Melbourne are no strangers to the dreaded blocked toilet. It’s an issue that can strike at any time, causing inconvenience, frustration, and even health hazards. But fear not, for this blog is your one-stop shop for understanding and dealing with blocked toilets in Melbourne.
The Resons why Toilets Block up:
Before we delve into solutions, let’s identify the common culprits that cause blocked toilets in Melbourne:
- Flushing Non-Flushables: Toilet bowls are designed for human waste and toilet paper only. Flushing anything else, such as wipes, paper towels, feminine hygiene products, or even toys, can lead to blockages.
- Tree Root Intrusion: Older homes in Melbourne may have pipes that run close to trees. Tree roots can seek out moisture and invade pipes, causing blockages and potential damage.
- Grease and Oil Buildup: Over time, grease and oil from cooking can solidify in pipes, gradually narrowing the passage and eventually causing blockages.
- Damaged or Misaligned Pipes: Physical damage to pipes, either due to shifting soil or improper installation, can create obstructions and hinder the smooth flow of waste.
- Cheap toilets that have not been designed well and will always take two or three flushes to clear the bowl.
Signs of a Blocked Toilet:
Recognising the signs of a blocked toilet is crucial for prompt action:
- Slow Draining and rising of water in the bowl: If your toilet takes longer than usual to flush, it could indicate a partial blockage.
- Gurgling Sounds: Gurgling noises coming from the toilet bowl or pipes suggest trapped air or a blockage.
- Overflowing Toilet: A clear sign of a severe blockage is when toilet water overflows the bowl despite flushing.
DIY Solutions for Mild Blockages
For minor blockages, you can try these DIY methods:
- Plunger: The classic plunger is often effective for unclogging toilets. Create a tight seal around the drain and plunge vigorously.
- Toilet Auger: A toilet auger, also known as a plumber’s snake, is a long, flexible cable with a coiled end. Insert the auger into the toilet drain and rotate the handle to break up the blockage.
- Replace the toilet: If its a cheap toilet thats never been very good maybe its time to look at installing a better toilet thats more suited to your use.
When to Book in a Plumber
If DIY methods fail to resolve the issue, or if the blockage is severe, it’s time to book a professional plumber:
- Stubborn Blockages: Some blockages, especially those caused by tree roots or damaged pipes, require specialized tools and expertise. In these cases you would be best looking for a drainage plumber who has a water jetter and sewer camera.
- Multiple Blockages: If multiple toilets or drains in your home are experiencing blockages, it could indicate a larger problem that requires professional attention.
- Health Concerns: Blocked toilets can lead to unpleasant odors and the spread of bacteria. If you have concerns about health risks, call a plumber immediately.
- Replacing the toilet: Get a Toilet Plumber in to have a look and give you a few options on replacement.
Preventive Measures to Avoid Blocked Toilets
Simple habits can go a long way in preventing blocked toilets:
- Flush Only Toilet Paper: Avoid flushing anything other than toilet paper.
- Grease Traps: Install grease traps in sinks and drains to prevent grease buildup.
- Regular Maintenance: Schedule regular plumbing inspections to identify and address potential issues early on.
Blocked toilets can be an unpleasant and disruptive experience, but with the right knowledge and approach, you can tackle them effectively. Remember, prevention is always better than cure, so adopt smart habits and seek professional assistance when needed to keep your plumbing system in top condition.
The Zebra Plumbing Difference
Zebra Plumbing is the best company to call when you have a Blocked Toilet and need an emergency plumber. They have excellent, 24/7 emergency services around the Melbourne area, and will be able to have your problem sussed and handled on the same day.
Zebra Plumbing also has excellent customer service, making sure not to disrupt your home too much when they’re coming in and out, or even when pumping high pressure water into the pipes. They will even make sure to tidy up before heading off, leaving your home spick and span.
Finally, they can reline and repair the pipe if it has cracked or burst from the blockage, as they make sure to carry around appropriate tools for nearly any pipe in the van when they head out on the job.